What do you think this EEL CATCH & COOK! “Chinese Style” Braised Fish! (South Kingstown/Philadelphia, RI/PA) video?
READ the description for MORE DETAILS (including gear used)! UPLOADS EVERY 2 DAYS!
Want to send me some stuff? Or keep in touch? My Address:
Extreme Philly Fishing, P.O. BOX 7019, Philadelphia, PA, USA, 19149
June 20th, 2017 — For my 71st outing of this year, my father and I hit the Narrow River in South Kingstown, RI, for “whatever bites.” The original plan was for a Multi-Species fishing session; however, the plans changed quickly after he landed a beast American Eel!
BRAISED AMERICAN EEL, “CHINESE STYLE.”
Preparation+Cooking time: 30-35 minutes (10 of preparation)
— American Eel, ~1.5lbs. 2 inch long steaks.
— 1/3 teaspoon of salt
— 1 teaspoon of sugar
— 1/3 cup of soy-sauce
— 1/5 cup of Chinese cooking wine (Liao Jiu)
— 1 cup of hot water
— 1/3 cup of olive oil
— 4 pieces of garlic, sliced
— 2 pieces of scallion, sliced
— 1 small piece of ginger, sliced
— 2 small peppers (optional)
— Clean the American Eel. Make sure to cut the head off and clean its belly. Take off all of its guts and wash it over 2-3 times with cold water. You may use a piece of paper to take some of its slime off as well. Cut it in 2″ long steaks. If the steaks were frozen, make sure to defrost until they are at room temperature.
— Vertically slice the garlic, the ginger, the peppers, and the scallion. Before chopping anything, make sure to wash the scallion and peel the garlic and ginger!!!
The preparation process should take you about 10 minutes.
COOKING THE FISH:
(1) Set up your heat on max and warm up your pan. Once the pan is warm, add the oil of your preference in it (1/3 cup recommended).
(2) Once the oil heats up, drop in the pieces of garlic, ginger, and half a portion of your scallion. NOTE: use the lower portion of the scallion, and save the green part as garnish!
(3) Cook the ingredients until the garlic is golden-brown. By then, the scent of the ingredients should be all over your kitchen!
(4) Add the pieces of American Eel. Fry them until the skin is just slightly crunchy/crispy.
(5) Add the Chinese cooking wine (liao jiu) to remove fishiness, the soy sauce, and the sugar. Mix it all up, so that the dish is uniform.
(6) Add the hot water and bring it to a boil. NOTE: no corn starch or MSG is necessary for this dish!!!
(7) Set the fire on medium and cover the pan with a lid. Cook it for ~15 minutes, until the sauce is reduced.
(8) Place the cooked fish in a plate, but leave a little bit of the sauce in the plate! Drop the remaining scallion and the peppers (optional) on top of the fish. Top it up with the remaining sauce.
The cooking process for the fish should take you about 20 minutes.
ENJOY YOUR MEAL!
Read the full fishing report here: COMING SOON
Gear used in this video:
Rod: Penn Pursuit II 4000, 2 pieces, Medium action (amzn.to/2tIIcgW*), and a St. Croix Avid Pearl, 6’6″, Medium-Light, 2 pieces ( amzn.to/2s52Hag*).
Reel: KastKing Mela II, 3000 model ( amzn.to/2t8siPw*), and a KastKing Kodiak 3000 model ( amzn.to/2t9ac0b*).
Line: KastKing Fluorokote, 8-30lbs test line ( amzn.to/2t9tbb4*)
Bait/lures: pieces of shrimp on a dropper loop rig, with a size #8 Mustad J-hook ( amzn.to/2rPRtT9*). For sinker, a 1-2 oz. Pyramid ( amzn.to/2s9PKHH*) or Bank sinker ( amzn.to/2t93Iy6*).
Photo Camera: Sony Cyber-Shot, Exmor, 18.2 megapixels. (amzn.to/2tINeKw*)
Filming Camera: GoPro Hero 4 Silver ( amzn.to/2s4Q3s7*)
External Microphone: Movo GM100 Lavalier ( amzn.to/2t9kcpI*)
Follow me on my social media platforms:
SMUGMUG PHOTO DATABASE: smu.gs/22uoQqY
*Those are Amazon Associates Hyperlinks
Long Days and Pleasant Nights! Tight lines, Youtube viewers!
EPF encourages freedom of speech – there’s absolutely nothing wrong in expressing oneself; however, please — respect is good and everyone deserves it. Negative comments will be deleted and trolls will be banned. 🙂
Be sure to share this EEL CATCH & COOK! “Chinese Style” Braised Fish! (South Kingstown/Philadelphia, RI/PA) video!